Shima is a peer-refereed academic journal that is published twice a year in open access online form and has been registered with the Directory of Open Access Journals since 2007.
The cultures referred to in the journal's subtitle refer not only to arts, crafts, language, folklore, media etc. but also aspects of local or inter-local tourism, development, politics and/or religion and how these relate to island and maritime environments and ecologies.
- Theoretical and/or comparative studies of island cultures (and/or diasporic island communities)
- Case studies of island cultures
- Accounts of collaborative research and development projects in island cultures
- Analyses of fictional representations of islands and 'islandness'
- Photo and Video Essays on any aspects of the above
Photograph by Ilan Kelman